We all know that Jet makes a wide range of power tools for all kinds of jobs ranging from lifting systems to metalworking.
But are jet woodworking tools really any good?
Jet tools are good mid-priced tools that are as reliable as they are cost effective. They may not be deemed market leaders compared to high-end brands, but their tools have relatively few issues compared to most other brands.
This post may contain affiliate links to products that we receive a commission for (at no additional cost to you). Learn more here.
Is Jet A Good Brand?
As a general rule of thumb, for their price range, Jet is a good brand when you consider the woodworking tools they have on offer.
They are well made, have some nice features built in, and perform solidly even when used quite frequently.
They are better quality than Grizzly brand machines, but Jet equipment isn’t yet classed as a high-end workshop tool range.
Top 4 Jet Power Tools (Jet Woodworking Tools Reviews)
1 – Jet Wood Lathe
Check out the current price here at Amazon.com
First on the list is Jets JWL-1221VS 12-Inch by 21-Inch Variable Speed Wood Lathe.
The price of this lathe is a steal, and is especially user friendly for wood turning beginners.
And despite it turning at speeds of up to 3600 RPM (Rotations Per Minute), it doesn’t vibrate. This is a particularly important feature as any excessive vibration can make it hard to keep control as you turn and carve into the wood.
This reasonably priced power tool will set you back around $800-$900, but lets take a look at what you get for that cost:
- It has a variable speed controller that ranges from 60 RPM to 3600 RPM.
- It has a JET patent pending adjustable ratchet style belt tension system.
- It has a spring loaded indexing head that can hold anything into place in up to 24 different positions.
- It can handle hours on end of lengthy turning sessions.
- And more!
- To see all of the features visit Amazon for more information.
Are you completely new to Wood Turning, and don’t know where to begin? Click here to check out my blog post: 5 Clever Wood Turning Projects (For Lathe Beginners)
2 – Jet Sander
Check out the current price here at Amazon.com
Next on our top 4 list is the Jet Tools – J-4002 1 x 42 Bench Belt and Disc Sander.
I like this sander not just for its price, but also due to the fact that it is very well put together.
It is a little bit noisier than other brands (not ideal if you want to setup a woodworking shop in an apartment), but that does not take away from the fact that this sturdy unit can take on most any woodwork sanding job. However, it is worth noting that it is not recommended that you use this tool to do any wet-sanding.
Now, lets have a quick look at some of the features of this tool:
- It is surprisingly affordable and costs around $400.
- It is easy to change the belts, and it takes no time at all to swap them out.
- It weighs just 63 pounds, which makes it easy to shift around the workshop.
- And there’s more! To see all of the features visit Amazon for more information.
3 – Jet Band Saw Kit
Check out the current price here at Amazon.
The third Jet tool on this list is the JET JWBS-14DXPRO 14-Inch Deluxe Pro Band Saw Kit.
Namely, their Deluxe Pro Band Saw Kit. This hefty 247 pound cast iron framed saw is a great option for woodworking enthusiasts and professionals alike.
This band saw isn’t cheap, however, costing around $1000 to $1400, and you could probably find a low-end brand band saw for half the price.
Still, those cheaper band saws probably won’t give you the cutting versatility that this one does, (thanks to its built-in retractable guard).
Now, lets go over a few of this band saws key features:
- It has a handy dust port – situated in the lower housing area.
- It runs at two belt drive speeds, 1500 SFPM and 3000 SFPM (Surface Feet Per Minute)
- And there’s more! To discover all of the features visit Amazon.
4 – Jet Head Planer
See the latest price over on Amazon.
Last up on our list is Jets JWP-208HH 20-inch Helical Head Planer.
Turn any rough timber into easy-to-work-with smooth planed timber, when you use this piece of equipment.
It can effortlessly plane any amount of wood, although it is worth noting that this is not a 4-sided planer.
This tool will cost you around $3000, but here is what you can expect to get for that price tag:
- It can take on huge workloads.
- It can plane to a width of 20 inches.
- It comes with 4 inch dust port (for saw dust collection).
- It is quiet for a planer, (but you should still always use ear plugs when using this type of power tool).
- To see all of the features visit Amazon for more info.
So, are jet woodworking tools good? Yes, they are, and here are a few reasons why;
- They are affordable: These tools are the best mid-priced equipment in the industry.
- They are quality: They are part of JPW Industries (which also manufactures Powermatic tools).
- They are reliable: The company has been around for over half a century, since 1958. Which means that if you ever need to buy a spare part or two for your older Jet tools, you can still purchase them.